Spelling of words used by the Port Jackson people.  There is no standardised form of the spelling of words recorded for the language spoken by the ‘Eora’, or ‘Darug-Eora’.  Variations in the spelling of indigenous words and names have been retained in the historical context without correction or alteration.  The most commonly used spelling forms have been used throughout the narrative – these spellings are, however, subject to constant change.  There has been no scholarly agreement as to what constitutes ‘correct’ spelling.

On 31 December 1788, Lieutenant Henry Lidgbird Ball of HMS Supply and Marine Lieutenant George Johnston ambushed two Aboriginal men at Kayeemy (Manly Cove). One escaped while the captured man, at first called Manly, was carried off to the settlement at Sydney Cove. He was detained in an attempt to learn something of the language and customs of the people, as well as information regarding natural resources. His name was found to be Arabanoo. This was rendered by the different writers at the time as Arooboonoo, Arooboonen, Araboonoo and Harrabanu. Although he had been captured in the territory of the Gamaragal, his clan is not known. Arabanoo remained in the settlement following the removal of his manacles.

He was present in the settlement during the outbreak of smallpox among the Aboriginal population in April 1789. Arabanoo helped to bury some of the victims and was present when two children, Nanbarry and Boorong (at first mistakenly called Abaroo) were brought into Sydney suffering from the disease.

Arabanoo contracted smallpox and died on 18 May 1789. He was buried in the governor's garden.

Brother-in-law of Bennelong. His father was Maugoran and his mother was Gooroobera. He had at least two brothers Bidgee Bidgee and Yarinibe Goruey and a sister Boorong.

In 1791 Ballooderry was a guide on the Governor’s expedition to trace the course of the Hawkesbury River. At a later date his canoe was destroyed by convicts and in retaliation he speared one of the culprits.

He died on 16 December 1791 and was buried in the grounds of Government House, Sydney. Affiliation: Burramattagal. Also: Bolderry.

Second wife of Bennelong, Barangaroo was a Gamaragaliang and continued to maintain connection with the clan despite exposure to the British settlers. She had two children prior to being Bennelong's wife, both of whom had died. Barangaroo died in 1791 and was cremated in the grounds of Phillip’s Government House and her remains interred in the garden there.

The spelling of Bennelong’s name takes a number of forms.  These include: Bennillong, Ben-nil-long, Bannelon, Benelong, Benelång and Bunna.lung.

Son of Maugoran and brother-in-law of Bennelong. He spoke good English and was noted as an accomplished mimic.  He was engaged as a tracker by Governor Macquarie and rewarded by being appointed ‘Chief of the Kissing Point tribe’. A grant of land for Bidgee Bidgee at Kissing Point was initiated in 1816 but not completed. Bidgee Bidgee remained an important elder in the Sydney district throughout the 1820s. He is believed to have died in c.1836. Affiliation: Burramattagal.

Wife of Colebee.  Affiliation: Cannalgaliang (Gamaragaliang)

Daughter of Maugoran and wife of Bennelong. Affiliation: Burramattagaliang

William Bradley (1757-1833), naval officer and diarist.

He entered the navy on 10 April 1772 and was promoted lieutenant on 31 October 1778. He appointed first lieutenant in the Sirius on 25 October 1786 and sailed with the First Fleet in May 1787. After reaching Port Jackson in January 1788 John Hunter and Bradley commenced a series of surveys. On the various short surveying expeditions he undertook, usually with Hunter, his main interests were natural history and the Indigenous people of the harbour.

Following his return from the Cape of Good Hope on 9 May 1789 he was occupied taking observations, supervising the repair of the Sirius and continuing his study of the local people. In November 1789 he was one of the party sent to capture Colebee and Bennelong, 'by far the most unpleasant service I ever was order'd to Execute'.

Bradley arrived in England on 23 April 1792, where a court martial was held over the loss of the Sirius; all were 'Honorably Acquitted' and paid off on 4 May.  Bradley subsequently rose to the rank of captain but in 1809 he began to display an unsettled state of mind. His advancement continued and on 22 September 1812 was promoted rear admiral of the Blue and superannuated.

In 1814 he was involved in a case of defrauding the postal authorities, was tried at the Winchester Assizes, found guilty and sentenced to death. Struck off the list of superannuated rear admirals he was first reprieved conditional on his being transported for life, and then pardoned on 27 October on condition that he went into exile. Bradley travelled to France and remained in dishonoured exile, until his death on 13 March 1833.

Bungaree (c1775–1830), a Garigal from Broken Bay, adopted the role of a mediator between the English colonists and the Aboriginal people. He undertook a number of sea-voyages, and in company with Matthew Flinders, became first Australian to circumnavigate the continent.  He had close associations with the Newcastle settlement between 1801 and 1804.

He settled his family on the north shore of Port Jackson and maintained a close relationship with ships entering the port.  In 1815 his patron, Governor Lachlan Macquarie reserved land and erected huts at Georges Head for Bungaree and his family.  The proposed farming venture did not prosper and in 1828 Bungaree and his group moved their camp to the Governor's Domain.  Following an illness that lasted several months Bungaree died at Garden Island on 24 November 1830 and was buried at Rose Bay.

Association: Garigal  Also: Boongarie

Spear barbed with stones.

Also: car-rah-dy, karadji, cár-ad-yee, karádigán.  Doctor, particularly a person skilled in healing wounds, a clever man, sorcerer.  The Aboriginal people described the surgeons of the First Fleet as such.

Sister of Bennelong. Also as:  Karangarang

Companion of Kurúbarabúla during Bennelong’s absence in England. Also Carroway, Carrawy. In 1798 Caruey severely wounded Bennelong in the head in a ritual revenge contest. Caruey died from a spear wound in the thigh in another payback battle. His body was buried at the Brickfields on 17 December 1805. Affiliation: Cadigal.

Colebee (c.1760-c.1806) was a Cadigal abducted with Bennelong on 25 November 1789.  He soon escaped and was later sighted at Manly Cove during the spearing of Governor Phillip. On 18 October 1790, not long after Bennelong and some companions 'came in' peacefully to the Sydney settlement, Colebee met Governor Phillip to conclude a separate agreement and to receive a metal hatchet. He and Bennelong subsequently became the most recognised Aboriginal men in Sydney.

He assaulted Boorong in October 1790, and attempted to abduct another girl from Government House in May 1791. Colebee is said to have often taken part in ritual revenge battles. In July 1805, Colebee and Bennelong, who were usually allies, fought a duel over Bennelong's wife Kurubarabulu. Colebee may have died in a payback battle in 1806, but his death was not officially recorded and he was not mentioned after that year.

Alternate: Gringerry Kibba Coleby, Goungarree, Congare, Kebada Colby, Kólbi. Colebee exchanged names with the Gweagal warrior Wárungin, Wángubile Kólbi.

Collindiun abducted Kurúbarabúla.  Killed by Nanbarry in January 1806.  Affiliation: Gweagal. Also as: Colinjong

David Collins (1756-1810), deputy judge advocate and lieutenant-governor, was born on 3 March 1756 in London.

He was commissioned second lieutenant on 20 February 1771 and later served in North America.

In 1786 accepted an appointment to the expedition to Botany Bay. On 24 October 1786 he was commissioned deputy judge advocate of the new colony and of the marine detachment. Collins was responsible, under the governor, for the colony's entire legal establishment. Collins placed him in close association with the Governor and brought him into conflict with officers of the New South Wales Corps.  Collins was a keen observer, particularly of the Indigenous people of Port Jackson. Collins sailed for London in August 1796. From his own records he completed in May 1798 the first volume of An Account of the English Colony in New South Wales.

In 1802 he was chosen to form a new settlement in Bass Strait. He arrived at Port Phillip Bay on 9 October 1803, but decided to move to the Derwent where Lieutenant John Bowen had already established a settlement at Risdon.  The main settlement was later moved to Hobart. Collins died suddenly in Hobart on 24 March 1810. He was buried on the spot intended for a church, now St David's Cathedral.

Brother-in-law of Bennelong. Also known as ‘Harry’.

Daringa (c1770–1795) was the half-sister of Moorooboora of the Murro-ore-dial (gal or clan), whose lands cover present-day Maroubra.

Daringa had exchanged names with Bennelong's wife Barangaroo and was styled Daringa Barangaroo.

In December 1790, Daringa walked from Sydney Town to the Botany Bay area for the birth of her daughter Paniebollong (or Pen-niee-bool-long).

In May 1791, when a convict was caught stealing fishing tackle from Daringa, Governor Phillip gave orders for the man to be flogged in front of several Eora men and women.

At David Collins's request, Daringa gave him the front teeth taken from three boys, at the Erah-ba-diang initiation ceremony at Farm Cove in 1795. She particularly asked that the tooth of Nanbarry, Colebee's nephew, be sent to Surgeon John White who had been the boy's guardian while in New South Wales.

Daringa died about 1795. Colebee put this second child, still alive, in Daringa's grave, placing a rock on her chest before it was filled in, saying there was no one to breastfeed the baby.

Also: Dorringa, Taringa, Gnaringa-a, Daringa Barangaroo, Da-ring-ha, Mrs Coleby.

William Dawes (1762-1836), officer of marines who volunteered for service with the First Fleet in New South Wales. He was a competent astronomer and was employed ashore as engineer and surveyor.  He constructed an observatory on Tarra (now Dawes Point).

He undertook a number of exploratory journeys to the west of Sydney and attempted to travel into the Blue Mountains.  Dawes was a keen observer of the local people and compiled an extensive vocabulary and grammar.

In December 1790 Dawes had refused to do duty on a punitive expedition ordered by Phillip following the murder of his game- shooter John McEntire. Dawes relented only after discussion with Rev. Richard Johnson, and later incensed Phillip by stating publicly that he was sorry that he complied with the order. He refused to retract and sailed with the marines in December 1791.

Dawes subsequently travelled to Sierra Leone as councillor to the governor, whom he succeeded in December. He was three times governor for the Sierra Leone Company.

While in England between 1804 and 1808 he helped to train missionaries for the Church Missionary Society. About 1812 Wilberforce suggested that he might work for the anti-slavery cause in Antigua and in 1813 he took his only daughter to that island. There he was a correspondent of the Church Missionary Society and established schools for the children of slaves. Dawes died in Antigua in 1836. He had married first Miss Rutter, who died about 1800. They had a daughter, Judith, who married in Antigua, and two sons. In Antigua Dawes married Grace Gilbert, who survived him.

Son of Bennelong. He had been placed in the Native Institution at Parramatta in 1816 and remained there until 1821. He then lived with the Wesleyan missionary, Reverend William Walker.

He was baptised as Thomas Walker Coke at the Wesleyan Chapel at Parramatta on 8 September 1822. Dicky Bennelong became ill and died early in February 1823. He may have been married briefly to Maria, the sister of Colebee from Richmond, although this requires further research.  Affiliation: Wangal

Daughter of Barangaroo and Bennelong.

The use of the word Eora/eora is a subject that is open to debate. Val Attenbrow in in Sydney’s Aboriginal Past (UNSW Press 2002) has a section entitled “The Eora Dilemma” theat summarises the common use of the term.  In regard to the popular use of the term she writes:

It is used today in a variety of contexts to refer to the original inhabitants of the area between Port Jackson and Botany Bay or sometimes to the people of the whole Sydney region.  However, neither the early colonial accounts nor the late 19th century anthropologists or linguists use the term in this manner. (Attenbrow (2002): 35)

The term appears in a number of the early word lists and is translated thus:

Men or people (Dawes)

The name common for the natives (Collins)

Men or people (King)

A number of people (King)

People (Southwell)

The only instance where the word appears in the early published texts is Collins in reference to a conversation he had with Bennelong following his return from England in 1795.  The passage is as follows:

….I wished to learn what were his ideas of the place from which his countrymen came, and led him to the subject by observing, all the white men here came from England.  I then asked him where the black men (or Eora) came from?  He hesitated; did they come from any island?  His answer was, that he knew of none: they came from the clouds (alluding perhaps to the aborigines of the country); and when they died, they return to the clouds… (Collins: 454)

Where the word is used in context by Dawes it is not unequivocally related to place, nor is it a name by which the indigenous users of the language identified themselves as a group or polity.  Dawes provided the following examples of how the word was used (and understood by him):

Ŋwıyí̇ tālı tyu̇ŋóra breada eóra    =   He gave pork (and) bread to the eoras (Book B page 35)

Ŋwiadyaoúwı magŏra eorāra dyı  =  The eoras gave fish to him (Book B page 35)

Dawes used the word in the English translation in order to differentiate between indigenous ‘people’ and his own ‘people’.  To this end the word whiteman or whitemána, was introduced (by Dawes?) into the Indigenous lexicon in preference to the locative form Berıwȧlgal (Be_re_wal_gal = the name given to us by the natives, Berewal = a great distance off) (Dawes Book C page 9).

Attenbrow provides a history of the appearance of the word in later nineteenth century and early twentieth century texts.  W. Wentworth-Bucknell and George Thornton use the term in 1899 as a ‘tribal’ name for people inhabiting the Port Jackson/Sydney region in 1788 - these writers do not provide sources.  The term as defining a specific tribal/language group gained greater currency with Norman Tindale’s publication Aboriginal Tribes of Australia (1974). 

In 1987 Kohen and Lampert drew the conclusion that 'the Dharug language had two major dialects, that of the Eora or coastal people and that spoken by people occupying the inland area from Parramatta to the Blue Mountains' (Kohen and Lampert  in Mulvaney,  Australians to 1788 (1987:345)).  In 1993 Kohen employed the term Darug (Eora) as a ‘linguistic tribe’ (Kohen (1993): 22).  .  In Jakelin Troy’s The Sydney Language (1993) ‘eora’ is translated as ‘people’ or ‘Aboriginal people’ and indicates that the term was not used to refer to non-Aboriginal people.

For the purposes of this site, the term ‘Eora’ has been used as a collective term to describe the clans inhabiting the Port Jackson/Parramatta River region who were linked by marriage, ritual, shared food resources, language and custom.  These groups had close ties with speakers of what has been described as Coastal Darug, or Darug-Eora located in the Botany Bay-upper George’s River region to the south, and the lower Broken Bay region to the north.  Wherever possible an individual’s known clan affiliation is used in preference to the collective term ‘Eora’.

Supposed mother of Bennelong referred to once in a satirical article in the Sydney Gazette of 29 March 1817.  This is not a credible citation.

Brother-in-law of Bennelong. Also as: Anganángan. Adopted the name ‘Collins’.  Sailed as crew aboard HMS Daedalus in 1793-1794 on a survey expedition that took the vessel to North America and through the Pacific. During a ritual revenge combat in December 1795, Pemulwuy, launched a spear at Gnung-a Gnung-a that remained fixed in his back for some time.  He died in Sydney on 11 January 1809. Affiliation: unknown.

Supposed father of Bennelong referred to once in a satirical article in the Sydney Gazette of 29 March 1817.  This is not a credible citation.

Wife of Maugoran.  Affiliation: ?

John Hunter (1737-1821), admiral and governor, was born on 29 August 1737 at Leith.

In 1755 he was enrolled as an able seaman and after fifteen months became a midshipman.

In February 1760 Hunter qualified for promotion as a lieutenant, but he remained without a commission until 1780. When the First Fleet was being organised in 1786, H.M.S. Sirius was detailed to convoy it. Hunter was appointed second captain of the vessel under Governor Arthur Phillip with the naval rank of captain.  On 2 October 1788 Hunter sailed in the Sirius for the Cape of Good Hope and returned to New South Wales on 8 May 1789.

As a result of the loss of the Sirius on Norfolk Island Hunter returned to England and reached Portsmouth in April 1792. He published An Historical Journal of the Transactions at Port Jackson and Norfolk Island, With the Discoveries That Have Been Made in New South Wales and the Southern Ocean Since the Publication of Phillip's Voyage (London, 1793).

Hunter returned to the Colony as Governor in September 1795. Hunter was responsible for the administration of a colony that had a convict population of approximately 60 per cent with the remainder consisting of the garrison, administrative officers and expirees.  The trade in alcohol was beginning to cause social problems, economic problems and discipline within the New South Wales Corps.

Hunter was recalled by dispatch dated 5 November 1799. On 28 September 17800 he handed over the government to Lieutenant-Governor.

Hunter arrived in England in May 1801, and requested a public inquiry into the charges made against his administration. No inquiry was held but a reappraisal of his positionallowed him to receive a pension of £300 for his services in New South Wales.

He was promoted rear admiral on 2 October 1807, and vice-admiral on 31 July 1810. Hunter died at Hackney, London on 13 March 1821.

A collective term used primarily by Tench to describe the indigenous people of Port Jackson.

Philip Gidley King (1758-1808), governor, was born at Launceston, Cornwall, England, on 23 April 1758. King joined the navy as captain's servant in H.M.S. Swallow on 22 December 1770. He was commissioned lieutenant on 25 December 1778. In October 1786, as soon as Phillip had been nominated to command the expedition to New South Wales, he chose King as second lieutenant in the Sirius.

King had sailed for England in March 1790 on Phillip's orders to report on the difficulties of the whole settlement.  In 1791 he returned to New South Wales and in November was back on Norfolk Island.

In October 1796 King left Norfolk Island for England to recover his health. King returned to New South Wales in 1800 and assumed the role of Governor on did not assume command until 28 September of that year.

King issued a host of orders which he had already prepared, including a new set of port and price regulations intended to curb exploitation and the liquor traffic.

During King's administration the government's flocks and herds increased. He also undertook a program of public works and supported a number of exploratory journeys.  King’s relationship with the Indigenous inhabitants of New South Wales had a mixed success.  Although he 'ever considered the real Proprietors of the Soil' and attempted to preserve a 'good understanding' with them he was not prepared to countenance any form of resistance.

King returned to England in February 1807 and pressed the Colonial Office for a pension, but died on 3 September 1808 before it was granted.

Daughter of Mety.  Abducted from Botany Bay by Bennelong in 1790, and became his third wife. Abducted by Collindiun (Gweagal) after 1795. Abducted by Colebee, with whom Bennelong fought a duel in 1805. Also Go-roo-bar-roo-bool-lo. Affiliation: Gweagaliang.

Burramattagal elder. Father-in-law of Bennelong.  Directed complaints to Governor Phillip regarding the opening of the new British settlement at Parramatta and the displacement of his own people.

Gweagal elder.  Father of Warungin Wangubile and Kurúbarabúla.

Also mubi, mooby. Mourner at a funeral - friends of the deceased who are painted red and white.

Sister of Bennelong.

Nanbarry, (c.1780-1821) nephew of the Cadigal leader Colebee, was brought into the Sydney settlement in April 1789, seriously ill from smallpox, having lost his mother and father to the disease. Nanbarry recovered after treatment by Surgeon John White, who adopted him. When White left New South Wales in 1794, Nanbarry became a sailor on HMS Reliance. Nanbarry was one of fifteen Aboriginal youths initiated at the Yoo-long Erah-ba-diahng ceremony in February 1795 at Woccanmagully (Farm Cove).

In March 1805 both Bennelong and Nanbarry speared the ‘Cowpastures’ leader Cogy in a fight on the road between Prospect and Parramatta. In late January 1806, Nanbarry threw a spear that killed a Botany Bay man named Collindiun.

Nanbarry died on 12 August 1821.

Also as Nanbaree, Nanbarrey, Nanbaray, Nanbarry, Nanbree, Nanbury and Nanbarry Bolderry Brockenbau. Nanbarry exchanged names with Boorong's brother Ballooderry, but gave up that name after Ballooderry's death. Affiliation: Cadigal.

Bark canoe. Also nuwi, nowey and nowee.

Daughter of Colebee and Daringa.  Died 1791/92.  Also: Pen-niee-bool-long Affiliation: Cadigaliang.

Patyegarang, a young woman aged about fifteen was Dawes’ main language teacher. She was to prove vital to his understanding and documentation of the language spoken in the Port Jackson region, not only the vocabulary, but its grammar and conversational usage.

Pemulwuy first came to the attention of the British settlers in October 1790 when Woollarawarree Bennelong asked a marine sergeant and his troops searching for a missing convict to join a war party to kill Pemulwuy.

Bennelong and Colebee almost certainly colluded with Pemulwuy in the killing of Governor Phillip's game-shooter, John McIntyre. In November 1790 Pemulwuy resided for two weeks in Bennelong's brick hut at Tubowgulle (Bennelong Point).Bennelong still maintained that Pemulwuy was bad and considered him his enemy. In the following month McIntyre was assassinated by Pemulwuy prompting Phillip to launch two punitive expeditions to Botany Bay.  Pemulwuy maintained his distance from the Sydney Cove settlement until January 1795 when he came in to attend an initiation ceremony at Farm Cove but no attempt was made to detain or arrest him.  During the next two years Pemulwuy was joined by up to 100 Aboriginal followers and a smaller number of runaway convicts.

Pemulwuy’s group carried out a series of robberies at the Northern Farms and in March 1797 he led a raid against the government farm at Toongabbie.  A party of armed settlers and soldiers encountered the group and chased them to the outskirts of Parramatta and in the encounter that followed at least five of Pemulwuy’s followers were killed and Pemulwuy himself severely wounded and captured.  He recovered and escaped and continued a guerrilla campaign against the settlers. May 1801 Governor King gave orders to drive the Aboriginal people out of the Parramatta, Georges River and Prospect Hill districts by gunfire. He outlawed Pemulwuy and a reward offered for his capture or proof of death. On 2 June 1802, Pemulwuy was shot dead with Henry Hacking, first mate of the sloop Lady Nelson, being regarded as the person most likely responsible.  Affiliation: Bidjigal

Arthur Phillip (1738-1814), admiral and governor, was born on 11 October 1738 in London, the son of Jacob Phillip, a language teacher who came to London from Frankfurt.

On 7 July 1761 he was provisionally appointed lieutenant and on 25 April 1763 he was retired on half-pay.  Between this date an 1774 he served at sea for only brief periods and much of his time was taken up with farming.

In 1778 he returned to the navy and was again retired on half-pay on 25 May 1784. He was appointed the first governor of New South Wales on 12 October 1786. He arrived at Botany Bay on 18 January 1788 after a voyage whose success again owed much to Phillip's care. The original site proving unsuited to settlement he relocated to Port Jackson and on 26 January landing operations began there.

On 11 December 1792 Phillip sailed for England in the Atlantic to seek medical attention. By 1796 Phillip had sufficiently recovered his health to resume active naval duties. After successively commanding several ships he was given a shore appointment in 1798 as commander of the Hampshire Sea Fencibles.. Early in January 1799 he became a rear admiral of the Blue and was placed in charge of the Sea Fencibles throughout England. He carried out these tasks until he retired in 1805. He died on 31 August 1814 three months after receiving his last promotion to admiral of the Blue.

Sophy Buckenbah, born about 1806, may have been Nanbarry's widow or perhaps his daughter, using his name Brockenbau, a form recorded by Newton Fowell in 1790. She appears in the Colonial Secretary Return of Aboriginal Natives (blanket lists) as living at Kissing Point in 1836, aged 30 and with one daughter.

Frequent reference is made to use by the indigenous inhabitants of wooden swords or scimitars.  This is a boomerang for fighting - the names recorded for the boomerang in the Sydney region include bumarit, wumarang and galabaran.

Watkin Tench (1758?-1833), officer of marines and author, was born between May 1758 and May 1759 at Chester, England, the son of Fisher Tench and his wife Margaret.  Tench entered the Marine Corps as a second lieutenant in 1776 and saw service in North America.  He was promoted captain-lieutenant in September 1782 later volunteered for a three-year tour of service in New South Wales. Tench maintained good relations with everyone in the little community, particularly with Lieutenant William Dawes, whose interest in the Indigenous people Tench shared. Tench was leader of expeditions to the west and southwest of the settlement.

Tench sailed for England with the marines in December 1791. He was promoted to brevet major and with the outbreak of war with France he was soon at sea again. In November 1794 his ship, the Alexander, under Admiral Rodney Bligh, was captured by the French. Tench spent six months as a prisoner of war, mostly on parole as interpreter to Bligh. After being liberated by exchange, he served for the rest of the war in the Channel Fleet and was promoted brevet lieutenant-colonel in 1798. From March 1802 he served in various shore depots with regular promotions until he retired on half-pay as major-general in 1816. He returned to the active-list and retired with the rank of lieutenant-general in 1821.

Tench died at Devonport on 7 May 1833.

Tench published three books: A Narrative of the Expedition to Botany Bay: With an Account of New South Wales, its Productions, Inhabitants &c (London, 1789), A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson, in New South Wales, Including an Accurate Description of the Situation of the Colony; and of its Natural Productions; Taken on the Spot (London, 1793) and Letters Written in France, to a Friend in London, Between the Month of November 1794 and the Month of May 1795 (London, 1796).

Referred to as Wareeweer the less. Daughter of Maugoran.  Affiliation: Burramattagaliang.

Sister of Bennelong. Also as: Wariwéar

Son of Mety and brother-in-law of Bennelong.  Exchanged names with Colebee and was subsequently referred to by the British as “Botany Bay Colebee”.  Affiliation: Gweagal

Henry Waterhouse (1770-1812), naval officer, son of William Waterhouse. In 1786 he joined the Sirius as a midshipman and in 1788 was present at the first British settlement of New South Wales. He accompanied Phillip on a number of excursions into the new country. He returned to England in 1791 and in 1792 was appointed lieutenant in the Swallow and was later transferred to the Bellerophon in March 1793. Bennelong was a guest of Waterhouse’s father, William.  Waterhouse was appointed as second commander of the Reliance under Governor John Hunter with Bennelong as one of the passengers. In 1796 he took the Reliance to the Cape of Good Hope to buy stock for the colony. He returned to Sydney in June 1797 with the first merino sheep imported into the colony. Waterhouse supplied lambs to many of the settlers including John Macarthur and Samuel Marsden; most of the flock was sold to William Cox when Waterhouse left the colony in 1800.  He was the brother-in-law of George Bass. Waterhouse died on 27 July 1812 and was buried at St John's, Westminster.

Aboriginal warrior and caradhy (clever-man).  Responsible for spearing Governor Phillip at Manly Cove.  Subsequently censured by Bennelong for failing to attend Barangaroo during her final illness. Affiliation: Garigal

Half-sister of Bennelong. Also as: Wúrrgan.

Lived with Bennelong’s sister Warreeweer while her husband Gnung-a Gnung-a Murremurgan was at sea. Affiliation: unknown

Supposed step-mother of Bennelong referred to once in a satirical article in the Sydney Gazette of 29 March 1817.  This is not a credible citation.

Brother-in-law of Bennelong. In March 1795 he clubbed

Bennelong’s ally Bing-y-wan-ne to death at the Brickfields after finding him with his companion Mawberry.

Also: Yerinabie Goruey. Adopted the name ‘Palmer’. Affiliation: Burramattagal.

Brother-in-law of Bennelong. Also as: Yow-war-re.